(954) 792-9LAW

Get Directions

Workers’ Compensation

An experienced workers’ compensation attorney understands how to navigate the complex system of procedures to get you the best possible resulting benefits. They are a powerful ally against the insurance companies who know how to manipulate the system to keep you from getting the benefits you need and deserve.

If you were injured at work or became ill due to your working conditions, it could turn your whole world upside down. You could be experiencing lost or diminished wages, costly medical bills, or even be fearful that you could lose your job all together. You don’t have to go through this stress alone. Workers’ compensation benefits are there to get you the financial relief and peace of mind you need in these trying times. A workers’ compensation attorney can help you maximize your benefits and relieve the strain of handling a complex insurance claim while you’re already in a compromised state. If you are already injured or ill, you do not need the added worry of whether or not your treatment will be covered. Contact our experienced workers’ compensation attorneys today at the Law Office of Steven M. Fried, P.A., at (954) 792-9LAW for you FREE, no obligation consultation.

What Should I Do if I Am Injured at Work?

The first thing you need to do is talk to your boss and let them know you were injured. They need to be aware of the situation, and more often than not, they will report your injury and make the official documentation you need. This is crucial if you would like to make a workers’ compensation claim. You can talk to anyone from the CEO to your manager, but don’t just confide in your coworker, they cannot help you in this situation. Make sure your employer knows of your situation and it is properly documented. Getting a copy of these records can also be helpful.

What if I Became Ill Due to Workplace Conditions?

The process of documenting a work related illness is similar to an injury. Once you become aware that something isn’t right, you need to get to a doctor right away. If the doctor finds that your illness is due to something you were exposed to during work, it is important to document where, when, and how you were exposed to it. You will also need to notify your employer right away, not only so they can ensure no one else is exposed, but also to begin the official documentation process. There is often a time limit to make that notification, and it begins from the time you become aware of the condition. Again, ensure that you get a copy of all official documentation

My Loved One Passed Away Due to a Workplace Injury, Am I covered?

In this tragic situation, the spouse or children may collect death benefits. These benefits are based on the deceased employee’s wages. You will receive a percentage of their former wages, that are subject to a cap between $100,000 and $150,000. It may also be possible to receive coverage for funeral expenses as well.

What Happens Next?

After you have reported your injury or illness to your employer, it is the perfect time to get in touch with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney. They will ensure that all documents are filed correctly and that no stone is left unturned in your case, giving you the time to focus on your recovery. Do not delay seeking medical treatment, your health will suffer without proper treatment and you do not deserve to be in pain. Workers’ compensation insurance companies will be reluctant to get you coverage if you are not being treated by a doctor, so it is important to get the medical treatment you need.

Am I Entitled to Receive Benefits?

In Florida, every employer with four or more employees (with the exception of the construction industry), is required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. In the construction industry, every employer with even just one employee must carry workers’ compensation insurance. Employees are eligible for benefits if they are full time, part-time, a minor, an immigrant (lawfully or unlawfully employed), a prisoner on a work-release program, or under appointment or contract. You are not considered an employee and will likely be denied benefits if you are an independent contractor, a volunteer, hired only for a specific job lasting 10 or less days, a professional athlete, and a domestic worker or nanny in a private residence.

Do I Need to Hire an Attorney?

It is always helpful to hire an experienced attorney. They can help you navigate the complicated claims process and get you the care and treatment you are entitled to. If you have already filed a claim and it was rejected, or you aren’t receiving the care or benefits you feel you deserve, it’s not too late to reach out to an attorney to review your case.

By choosing the Law Office of Steven M. Fried, P.A., you are choosing to work with a legal team that has more than two decades of experience with cases just like yours. We are committed to providing excellent service and treat every case as if it were our own family’s case. We also work on a contingency basis, meaning we only accept payment when we obtain a recovery for you. Call our office at (954) 792-9LAW for your no cost consultation which can be done in person, over the phone or via Skype. Take the first step towards empowerment and contact us today!